The Sir George Elliot Charitable Trust was set up to support persons, organisations, projects or activities that will benefit the community. Some of the projects the Trust has supported in recent years include:
- Auckland Town Hall Organ Trust – refurbishment of Town Hall organ (pictured above)
- KidsCan – Adidas raincoats for disadvantaged children
- MERC – upgrade of east accommodation block
- St Andrews – new community centre
- Q Theatre – building of the Q Theatre (main performance space “Rangitira,” pictured below)
- Birkenhead College – school theatre refurbishment
- Tirimoana Primary School – portable canopy
- Q Theatre – sound system
- Royal New Zealand Foundation for the Blind – DAISY players
- St Andrews – hoist
- Q Theatre – sound system lounge
- Manukau Institute of Technology – Pasifika Centre.
The Trust has also backed many other community initiatives, including the development of local hospices, the provision of facilities for elder care and various school-related projects where facilities have been available to the community at large.
These initiatives reflect the commitment of Sir George Elliot during his lifetime to community well-being.
His other great passion was education, in reflection of which the Trust annually awards three Sir George Elliot Tertiary Scholarships of $25,000 each. You can read more about the Elliot Scholarships and our Scholars here.