The Sir George Elliot Charitable Trust was setup to support persons, organisations, projects or activities that will benefit the community.
Some of the projects that the Sir George Elliot Charitable trust has been involved in over the last few years:
- Auckland Town Hall Organ Trust – refurbishment of Town Hall organ
- KidsCan – Adidas raincoats for disadvantaged children
- MERC – upgrade of east accommodation block
- St Andrews – new community centre
- Q Theatre – building of the Q Theatre
- Birkenhead College – school theatre refurbishment
- Tirimoana Primary School – portable canopy
- Q Theatre – sound system
- Royal New Zealand Foundation for the Blind – DAISY players
- St Andrews – hoist
- Q Theatre – sound system lounge
- Manukau Institute of Technology – Pasifika Centre
Along with the many different community initiatives and projects which have included the development of local hospices, the provision of facilities for the care of the elderly and various school related projects the Trust also awards three scholarships per year to support young scholars towards their tertiary qualifications.
The scholarships of $25,000 each are awarded to support young people during Tertiary study whose family, personal and/or economic circumstances during secondary schooling have, in the opinion of the trustees, required of those people exceptional efforts that have been successfully made and/or imposed exceptional challenges that have been overcome.